[Coco] Sneak peek

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sat Feb 14 17:11:22 EST 2009

At 01:58 PM 2/14/2009, you wrote:
>Roger,
>
>Ah  see your point of view now. Thanks for the explanation of what
>ROM you are using.
>
>I am pretty sure you didn't do the hardware design or lay the board
>out. Not picking on you but I can tell in some of your posts you are
>not a hardware guy.

I got seriously into digital electronics back when I was probably 16
or so.  I'm 40 now.  You'd be amazed at what I really know.  I
remember finally burning my ancient yellow-paged notebooks filled
with hand-drawn schematics that started as a teen.  As for asking
CoCo questions, when we've got a large group of smarties among us
(including us), I see no reason why anyone should assume that since a
person is asking a general question that the person must be wet
behind the ears.  In the almost 20 years of being on these CoCo lists
and lucky enough to hang out with such a smart group, I've seen some
of the smartest people ask some of the "dumbest" questions about some
of the "simplest" things.  Notice I quoted those words because nobody
is actually asking DUMB questions, but some of the readers ASSUME
that Person A or B in their question or response, is the DUMB one in
the conversation.  It's just basic E-Mail 101 that goes back to the
BBS days when everything we said (if not followed by a SMILEY, or not
overly explained with apologies) was considered down-right rude.

:)

>Not James but james. Anyone that follows this list knows EXACTLY
>whom I am referring to.

I guess I've been too busy to know to which James or james you're
referring to, but the answer is still No.

>I would tend to disagree with you on the statement of: ACIA or UART
>the CoCo loves best, and that would be the 6551. Believe me, the
>CoCo would LOVE a bigger buffer, so would the host!!

OS-9 and the 6551 might not have been a wise combo back in the day,
but I've never had a problem under Disk BASIC or my own ML
programs.  I guess it's all in the code and the choice of operating system.

>The Atmel design work I am doing can cause a 3.2GHZ Dual core, blah,
>blah laptop to loose data if I don't invoke hardware handshaking at
>230.4Kbaud. If the PC doesn't do anything else all is fine but if I
>start to run some REALLY big hardware compilers and push the
>performance of the machine, the PC can't keep up with a $8 chip.

I've almost always got 8+ apps running at once on the PC and I agree
that when the CPU gets bogged down, even the simplest serial I/O can
lose it's cool.

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com