[Coco] Running os9gen on nitros9 6809L2 on a 128k coco3

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 14 10:13:26 EST 2009

Michael Furman wrote:
> Robert Gault (robert.gault at worldnet.att.net) recently said:
>
>> Mark and Michael,
>> Here is the problem with insufficient memory. First, Michael I strongly
>> suggest that you download the latest version of 6809 LevelII NitrOS-9
>> which is now 3.2.8 . What follows is based on using that current version.
>>
>> As distributed, term is an 80 column window. That puts too much strain
>> on the memory of a 128K system. There is enough memory to boot but not
>> enough to even correctly run the Startup file. If you boot v3.2.6 or
>> v3.2.8 6809 LevelII, you will find you don't get asked to set the time.
>> That is an indication of insufficient memory. Many other commands fail
>> under these conditions.
>> So what's to be done? Michael, you have two choices neither of which
>> will be pleasant. You can buy more memory or you can change term to a
>> vdg 32 column screen. I have tested the stock mb script and it will run
>> from a 32 column term in this version. I have not tried but it is
>> possible that a slimmed down os9boot file would give a fully working
>> system from an 80 column term window.
>>
>> Michael, I can send you a modified boot disk or you can try changing
>> term yourself using dEd. Here are the directions for changing term using
>> dEd.
>>
>> dEd is not usable from a 32 column window so the change must be done
>> from the stock distribution disk (80 column term).
>> 1. Boot NitrOS-9
>> 2. ded os9boot
>> 3. L term                this links to module term in os9boot
>> 4. e                     this gets into the edit mode
>> 5. use arrows to move to the following bytes and change them by entering
>> new values.
>> byte   old value    new value
>> $1A    $18          $10
>> $26    $80          $01
>> 6. [ENTER]               leaves edit mode
>> 7. v                     verifies the changes and updates the CRC
>> 8. q                     exits dEd
>>
>> That will change term to a vdg type. Now reboot NitrOS-9 and a cold boot
>> of the Coco or emulator will probably be needed.
>> Boot NitrOS-9 and you should be on a 32 column screen and you should be
>> asked to enter the date/time. If you got this far, then the script mb
>> should work and you also should be able to later standard.bl to fit your
>> needs.
>>

> I did this procedure to run in the 32 col mode.  That results in 40k of
> free space and the mb script now works to completion.
>
> The next problem is that it boots gets through all the modules then
> shows i2xoC and then basically hangs there forever.  Any idea what might
> be missing or wrong?

I have no idea what might be wrong at your end. The unaltered
standard.bl script works for me after converting term to a vdg screen
and the resulting new disk boots with no problems.
All I can think of is that you may have changed the standard.bl or mb
scripts so that some essential file was not placed on the new disk or in
the new os9boot file.

The error trace of i2xoC means that the boot process found module Init,
entered OS9p2 (now krnp2), Term was opened, boot tried to fork CC3Go
(now sysgo), and hung in the process. There actually should be an error
number following this but that either did not print or was not reported.
As Steven suggested sysgo could not be found. However, the stock scripts
will put sysgo in the root directory on the new disk and did so for me
when I tested the mb script.