[Coco] proposal for CoCoFEST! talk

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Feb 13 22:49:46 EST 2009

> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:38:08 -0500
> From: "John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com>
> Subject: [Coco] proposal for CoCoFEST! talk
> To: "'CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts'" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> So once again FEST! time is approaching and I have no noteworthy
> project to display.  Rather than come empty-handed, I thought I might
> have an alternative this year.
>
> I thought I might put together a little presentation on how to do
> some simple CoCo development using the conveniences of a modern PC
> (i.e. "cross development").  This would be a survey of some of the
> available tools and basic technologies.  As I am not a CoCo programmer
> of any note, this would specifically _not_ be a talk to 'how to write
> the greatest CoCo game ever'.  Instead it would be more of a basic
> overview of some of the available tools and their strengths, etc.
> I would try to cover both RSDOS and OS-9 targets.
>
> Does this interest anyone?  I would put together a few slides and
> some simple demos, and the rest of the FEST! could be an extended
> demo and Q&A opportunity.  Is this worthwhile?
>
> Feedback welcome!
>
> John
>
> P.S.  I'm a Linux guy, so the presentation would be weighted towards
> what is available in a Unix-like environment (including cygwin, etc).
>
> P.P.S.  I would, of course, be open to suggestions of any particular
> tools/projects to cover, interesting tips or resources, etc.

I would be interested in this, though I won't be going - too far away
for me, no time, and not a lot of travel money :(

Even so, as a Linux guy myself (currently running Ubuntu 8.10) whose
first computer experience was a CoCo 2 w/ 16k (ok, as long as you don't
count the Atari 2600 or the Radio Shack Pong game consoles prior to
then!), it would be great to hear such an overview:

Allen, I would be willing to pitch $5.00 or $10.00 for a DVD of the
presentations (could you "say hi" to each participant, too?) - such a
DVD would be both fun and informative to have, as well as a nice
addition to my collection of CoCo stuff.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona