[Coco] HWGA (was) Coco games copyright

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Feb 12 18:30:29 EST 2009

You're going to have to re-write so much of the code that I wouldn't worry about copyrights at all. basically you'll be using the old game as a "road map", but little else. I re-wrote a couple GW-BASIC programs for the CoCo3 years ago. Even then I ended up with a 85%+ re-write of all the code. I gave the original authors credit, but that was it. I just had a line similar to this in the docs and code: "based on xxx by xxx, originally written in GW-BASIC for the PC". There were just too many differences in the capabilities of the two machines to call it a "port", though that's what I originally intended to do.

Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:36:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Ben Jimenez <ben_jimenez at yahoo.com>

Hi, i'm not sure why I can't see my responses to these post but here goes. The reason I was asking is because I'm starting to develop some games for the Ipod platform and I thought it would be cool to convert some of the Coco games.

I'm developing in Object-C so i'm not sure how easy it would be to do the whole emulator, but making some clones of some good game would help me to get a good start on the platform and keep the coco games going.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"