[Coco] compilation of modifications

George Ramsower georgeramsower at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 12:27:22 EST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Devries"

> Having read with interest the comments about the mods to the SSC, I wonder
> whether it would be a good idea to compile a file of all the modifications
> done to the Colour Computer and its peripherals, and perhaps create a PDF
> file of those and upload it to the Maltedmedia website and other sites for
> future reference and historical interest?

 I think this is a good idea. For example: I have three or four CC3 machines
with a mod I put in many years ago that I THINK was supposed to fix the
B.L.O.B. problem.
 If this is the case, I would like to restore them to original.
 This one involves some mods to IC9, pins 3 and 5. and adding a gate in
there.. maybe a 7402? I seem to recall someone saying this is not the
correct chip.. The board I'm looking at might have the wrong chip in the
mod. However, this board isn't being used right now.

 With an archive of modifications, I could easily find out what the heck it
was that I did this for or even if it is necessary today.

 On the original 4K CC, a friend and I made a mod to enable it to use 64k
RAM. We used the original Motorola suggestions on that one. Worked great!.
We worked at Motorola at the time and the books were free to us. RatShack
made it not work with 64K. They didn't follow the suggestions from Motorola.

 I remember that at the time, Motorola was pushing the machine as a gaming
machine. So it isn't surprising that RatShack did the same thing. What a
screw-up!

George