[Coco] Speech/Sound cartridge

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Sat Feb 7 23:16:26 EST 2009

There is two issues with 1.78 MHz bus clock.

1) Q1 and its associated circuitry acts as voltage inverter to generate a
negative voltage to the opamps. The problem can be corrected with a
change in Q1. This will work if the right Q1 is used. The real issue is the RC
network of R16 and C26. The intention of this filter is to round off the edge
of E clock square wave so to minimize rigning in the coil. The problem is
that the RC network rounds off the negative transistion of the E clock
sufficiently when increased to 1.78 MHz. This does not allow Q1 to stay on
long enough to build up charge in L1. Thus not enough negative voltage for
the opamps. Changing Q1 to a 2N3906 will help. Changing the time
constant of R16 and C26 will also improve teh invertor performance. .

2) Second issue is that IC3 XORs the E and Q clock. Due to the quadrature
nature of the E and Q clock this will result in a frequency that is twice that
of either the E or Q alone. When generatign sound the sound will now be
one octave higher because of the increase in frequency. This can be
corrected simply by not XOR ing the two clocks when in high speed mode.
There is a file on RSTI that describes how this can be done. One method
locks you into high speed mode another method uses a switch to allow the
pack to be used in fast or slow mode.

james