[Coco] [Color Computer] Remove case yellowing

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Fri Feb 6 10:15:41 EST 2009

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 07:08:03 -0500 (EST)
From: Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Coco] [Color Computer] Remove case yellowing
To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, James Diffendaffer wrote:

 > > Apparently, someone has figured out how to reverse case yellowing.
 > > The original thread was from an Amiga forum but this is where I saw it.

There's something else to consider.  My experience with vintage musical
equipment has shown that cleanup attempts, even successful ones, can
destroy the collector's value of a classic or antique item.

In the 70s I acquired a 1953 Fender Telecaster guitar.  The previous owner
had worn all the finish off the neck and several portions of the body.
Being young and foolish, I had a local shop strip, bleach and refinish the
instrument.  It did look good, but lost the cache' in the process.  When I
sold it in 1990 it brought $1800.  The broker told me that if I'd left it
alone, dirty or not, the going price would have been in the low five
figures.  An expensive lesson!

This may be of less consequence for those who never plan to sell their
collection, but something to keep in the back of your head.

Steve

---

Hmm - makes me wonder if/how/what I should do when I get around to
cleaning up and restoring my Altair (it can't be turned on in the
condition it is in, that's for certain - has what seems to be like 1/2"
of dust and dirt in it). I already know I need to purchase a variac to
bring the caps up to snuff again so they don't explode...

To get this back on topic, though - my old CGP-220 is badly yellowed, so
I might look into this process...thanks for the post!

-- Andrew