[Coco] New 6821, 6551 replacements

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 07:52:29 EST 2009

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:

> I also noted that they quoted doing ASIC with 0.8 micron CMOS process to
> get their 14 MHz processor. I would rather believe that getting much faster
> than that will be hard for that old CMOS technology.  That was state of the
> art back in the 80's.

I'm amazed that they can find a fab anywhere in the world still producing
0.8um chips.

> Today the technology is at 0.045 micron. About 20
> times smaller.

And that's for mass-market products.  32 and 22 nanometer processes are
already under development for cutting edge applications.

> There used to be three different commercial cores for the 6809 that was
> availble. Lat time I checked I can only find reference to one IP core left on
> the web. It claims 40 MHz speed but does not state whether that is in an
> ASIC or FPGA. Alas I have yet to see a 6309 core.

Have you looked at System09 at opencores.org?  It claims to be a 6809
system-on-a-chip.  The CPU is broken out in its own file and should be
easy to reapply.

Steve