[Coco] New 6821, 6551 replacements

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Feb 2 20:23:24 EST 2009

On 2 Feb 2009 at 15:20, Roger Taylor wrote:

> Here's a company we need to keep an eye on.  The Western Design
> Center, Inc. If they can do for the 6809 what they did for the 6502,
> (creating a 100+mhz and 200+mhz version), what an amazing thing this
> would be.

Be aware of when looking at cores that are intended for FPGAs. WHile they
may very well claim to have 100+ MHz clock speeds, that may not very will
be the same as machine cycle time. For example most CPU cores I have
seen for FPGA uses two to four clocks per machine cycle. So if the FPGA
clock is at 100MHz the actual machine cycle time is only 25 MHz with four
clocks per machine cycle.

I also noted that they quoted doing ASIC with 0.8 micron CMOS process to
get their 14 MHz processor. I would rather believe that getting much faster
than that will be hard for that old CMOS technology.  That was state of the
art back in the 80's. Today the technology is at 0.045 micron. About 20
times smaller.

There used to be three different commercial cores for the 6809 that was
availble. Lat time I checked I can only find reference to one IP core left on
the web. It claims 40 MHz speed but does not state whether that is in an
ASIC or FPGA. Alas I have yet to see a 6309 core.

james