[Coco] DriveWire printing options

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 23:40:21 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Torsten Dittel <Torsten at dittel.info> wrote:
> Aaron Wolfe schrieb:
>
>> I am going to work on an Epson FX style converter that generates image
>> output, probably tiff which can then be turned into anything you'd
>> like with many existing tools.  I'll release the code under the GPL in
>> hopes it will be helpful to anyone wanting to implement another type
>> of printer.
>
> I found a commercial solution for that one too (sorry, all in German):
>
> http://www.directtools.de/directesc/index.htm
>
> Maybe you'll get an idea what the command's paramters could look like if you
> look here:
>
> http://www.directtools.de/directesc/commandline.htm

interesting!  I'm going to spend some time looking at this.  It's much
more complete than I think we need, and limited to Windows platforms,
but it does exactly what I'd like to do.

I noticed that web traffic to my Coco page comes from more Mac systems
than Windows systems.  Compared to my other sites, the Mac ratio is
much higher and Linux is better represented than usual as well.  None
of my sites are busy enough to be gathering good statistics, but I
think its fair to say that OS X is very important to support for Coco
users.

There aren't too many ways to write software that runs on Win and Mac
without separate versions.  We've used Java with some success towards
this goal for DriveWire, and probably I will use Java for the printing
stuff.  It's not as easy to do cross platform stuff as I wish it was,
but it can be made to work for the most part :)