[Coco] DriveWire printing options

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Dec 25 10:47:26 EST 2009

Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> First off, Merry Christmas to everyone :)
>
> As we are finishing up a feature set for the first release of the Java
> based DriveWire server, I realize that I haven't put in anything for
> printing support yet.  I don't use printers much myself, never really
> had much need.
>
> What (if anything) would be useful to people in the printing
> department?  Options range from dumping the bytes to a text file, to
> displaying them on a web page, to even emulating some sort of Coco
> printer and rendering the output in a PDF, etc...

Most of my printing on the CoCo was from Telewriter 64 / 128 and VED /
VPRINT (which used similar formatting codes to Telewriter) on the
DMP-105 and later the Star NX-1000 Rainbow.  But since that is all text,
it would be suitable to just create a text file from it on the server
PC.  And it's not so important to be able to print it directly anyway,
since the original text file can simply be transferred to the PC and
read and printed there.

I did some printing from CoCo Max and CoCo Max 3.  It would be neat to
be able to print some of that kind of stuff.

Back in the day it was not uncommon for programs to come with
instructions for rolling your own printer driver, or adapting a sample
driver to your printer.  And I seem to remember that Epson-compatibility
was a de-facto near-standard.  Maybe some kind of generic printer
facility could be concocted that uses Epson-type codes -- not
necessarily reflective of an exact historic printer model, but providing
the type of functionality that could easily be adapted to work with the
old applications.

JCE