[Coco] DriveWire printing options

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 02:19:03 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Bob Devries <devries.bob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aaron, you asked:
>
>> Is there one printer model that would cover a majority of applications?
>
> Sadly, even the Tandy printers used different codes for their various
> printing modes. I wonder if the graphics printing could be implemented as a
> separate module, which can be replaced with the correct type for the printer
> in use, along the lines of a DLL?

Java is able to do dynamic class loading, but that might be pushing
the limits of where we want to go in terms of complexity.   It is a
possibility.

For simple things like bold, italics, font selection, basically text
manipulation I think a simple translation table would do (byte pattern
X = bold, byte pattern Y = doublestrike, etc).   I'll need to
understand more about how graphics are done before I can guess what
would be required there.

Maybe a better place to start would be what applications are most
important to support?  If there is a printer with good functionality
that is shared amongst the most desired apps, I could start working on
that and see where it leads.  Like I mentioned, I never got into
printing things so I don't have a good idea of what would be the most
popular printing tasks.
You mentioned printing source code.. is this just dumping ascii text
to the printer, or is there a tool you use that "pretty prints" the
code?