[Coco] A new DLOAD patch

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 13:12:27 EST 2009

I found a few shortcomings with the DLOAD patch Darren submitted. First,
it assumes the Disk Extended Color BASIC ROM is present. It won't work
without this ROM. Second, while this patch restores the exact same code
as present in the CoCo 1 or 2 with ECB 1.1, it doesn't take into account
the fact that the baud rate and time out variables ($E6, $E7) are used
for something else on the CoCo 3. As a result, the time out is not
handled properly. Third, this patch uses space above $7F00, and is not
relocatable. This could be an issue with some programs.

So here is another DLOAD patch for the CoCo 3. The baud rate and time
out variable are now located at $76 and $77 respectively. The actual
code is placed in at $FA0C. There are 1012 free bytes on the CoCo 3
starting from this address, so I think it is the perfect location to put
a non-intrusive patch.

1 READ AH$,AL$
2 POKE&H8C18,&H7E
3 POKE&H8C19,VAL("&H"+AH$)
4 POKE&H8C1A,VAL("&H"+AL$)
5 POKE&H8DFC,&H76
6 POKE&H8DC2,&H77
7 POKE&H76,&H2C
8 POKE&H77,&H02
10 A=VAL("&H"+AH$+AL$):I=0
20 READ B$:IF B$="XX" THEN 100
30 POKE A+I,VAL("&H"+B$)
40 I=I+1:GOTO 20
100 DATA FA,0C,BD,A4,29,9D,A5,80,4D,34
110 DATA 02,26,02,9D,9F,BD,A5,78
120 DATA 9D,A5,27,16,BD,B2,6D,81
130 DATA 2C,27,0F,BD,B7,0B,86,B0
140 DATA 5D,27,05,86,2C,5A,26
150 DATA 20,97,76,BD,8C,D0,34
160 DATA 02,86,FD,97,6F,35,02,6D
170 DATA E0,27,12,BD,A5,C7,5D,27
180 DATA 06,BD,AD,19,7E,AC,7C,7E
190 DATA A6,16,7E,B4,4A,7E,8C,85,XX

After you run this program, your CoCo 3 understands two new commands:
DLOAD, and DLOADM. DLOAD allows you to download a BASIC file in ASCII
mode. DLOADM allows you to download a machine language program in binary
mode. The binary format is the same as the one of the .BIN files in DECB.

If you want to put the patch somewhere else in memory, just change the
first two DATA values.

To change the baud rate, use the following:

1200 baud: POKE&H76,44
2400 baud: POKE&H76,19
4800 baud: POKE&H76,7

9600 baud is not reliable at normal speed, but you can achieve it if you
use the 4800 baud value and run your CoCo 3 at double speed. The DLOAD
protocol provides for error checking and retries, so a correct transfer
is pretty much guaranteed.