[Coco] 720K 5.25" drives....

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 23 22:00:59 EST 2009

On Wednesday 23 December 2009, Frank Swygert wrote:
>Won't the 720K 5.25" drives work fine as a 360K drive? I know they are
>80 track instead of 40, but I seem to recall they would work just fine
>as 360K drives as well as 720K. I know they were used in the Tandy 2000,
>but don't know about any others. There have been a few Teac models in
>the surplus channels lately. Just thought that might be a good one for
>CoCo users since 360K drives have pretty much dried up.

Iffy at best Frank.  #1, the track width is about 40-45% of the 360k track
width.  This will work on one condition.  And that is that before being
formatted by double stepping the heads to maintain some semblance of the same
track to track spacing, they absolutely must be erased on a very strong bulk
tape eraser such as broadcast facilities had years ago to erase their audio
carts and video tapes with.  If not done, then the leftover data on what
would be an unused adjacent track in between the tracks being formatted will
scramble the reads when that disk is then put in a true 360k drive and a read
is tried with that wider head.

Such a disk can then be read in a true 360k drive about 99% of the time, but
really should be write protected as the wider write track of the 360k drive
might scramble the adjacent track, I have had exactly that happen to me on
several occasions.

No such problem exists in the 3.5" realm because they are all 135 tpi and the
only thing that changes between a DD and an HD is the write currents are
about doubled in HD mode and the clock speed of the data rate goes from
250kbaud to 500kbaud, or even 1 megabaud in the 2.88 meg versions.

There are also a very very few amiga hi density drives about that do their
version (on DD disks only) via slowing the disk down to 150 rpms.  Obviously
the dependability suffers, a lot, and the drive spindle actually visibly
steps, creating a situation where the disk must slip on the drive hub until
the hubs pin locks into the hole in the disk hub, thereby synchronizing the
data speed wobbles that causes back out of the data stream for the most part.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

<Davide> how bout a policy policing policy with a policy for changing the
         police policing policy