[Coco] Your stock CoCo is DriveWire-ready out-of-the-box (was: DriveWire for dummies?)

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Dec 23 14:21:07 EST 2009

William,

I care not how it's done (web interface or swing interface).  I don't see why both couldn't be employed actually, but I'm not privy to all of the technical issues.

What I do want to get away from is having multiple code bases for different platforms that have to all be updated when new features are added.  That's getting a bit out of hand and Java (for all its faults) is the best approach.

I'll let Aaron or Jim comment on the interface idea.

Boisy

On Dec 23, 2009, at 1:17 PM, William Schaub wrote:

>> Speaking of DriveWire Java Server, I'm running the Java server on my eMac and it is performing quite nicely.  If Jim is successful in developing a web-based front-end that works on all three major platforms (Win, Mac, Linux) then I think it will be time to abandon the platform specific servers and focus efforts on the Java version.
>>

> Just my 2 cents but I really don't like web interfaces at all. why not just use the java swing library and be done with it? I know it will look different on each platform due to how java works but as long as the GUI is usable who really cares? I dislike very much having to load a heavy weight browser just to use a utility like the drivewire server.
>
> But then again I'm not on the development team or anything so my opinion is not likely worth much more than two cents anyway. :)

Boisy G. Pitre
http://www.tee-boy.com/