[Coco] A bug in Basic09/RunB

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Dec 7 21:26:04 EST 2009

On Monday 07 December 2009, Wayne Campbell wrote:
>Gene,
>
>When I said they never intended to pass a single byte, I meant by value. I
>know that passing byte variables by reference works. I use it all the time.
>This is all the more why passing a byte by value should work as well, IMO.
>It seems the original authors decided it was too much extra code to fix, or
>just wasn't a priority.
>
>Wayne

Possibly.  I have passed by value on numerous occasions, but you can't do
math 'in' the call.  Either before or in the subroutine has always worked if
my wet ram can be trusted at 75.  If it had been a problem I'm sure I would
have remembered it.  That may be something that since it could be coded
around, wasn't worth the extra bytes to handle it in the call.  This basic,
FWIW was from what I've read back in the foggy past, modeled more or less on
True Basic, and what little TB code I wanted to use was pretty easily
adapted, although the biggest piece I re-wrote in C as it needed the C's math
precision of about 17 digits.  B09's 5 byte representation of a real sorta
gets wonky when you want minute accuracy over nearly 6700 years. :)