[Coco] Your stock CoCo is DriveWire-ready out-of-the-box (was: DriveWire for dummies?)

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 08:42:30 EST 2009

If your CoCo is a 64k CoCo 1 o 2 (not a CoCo 3) with ECB 1.1, DriveWire
could (theoretically) be DLOADed from the host PC or Mac to the CoCo.

The only hardware you would need is a serial cable, which DriveWire
requires anyway.

I do have a DLOAD server, and it works for games, so I don't see why it
couldn't be used to load HDB-DOS. Such a DLOAD server could be
integrated into the DriveWire server.

The reason why it wouldn't work with the CoCo 3 is because the DLOAD
command was shortsightedly disabled by the programmers who hacked Super
Extended Color Basic. (This is the only BASIC command that would be
really useful... *sigh*) However, I'm thinking about a workaround, since
part of the DLOAD code is still there. For instance, the code that
receives a 128-byte block from the bit banger port is still in ROM. Now,
128 bytes would be enough for a loader. A few POKEs would be required to
patch things up, then an EXEC would be issued to load the loader, and
then another EXEC to run the loader. Not as elegant as a simple DLOAD
command, but still... No ROM Pak or disk controller needed.

I also know of a method that lets the CoCo 3 read characters from the
serial port instead of the keyboard. A short BASIC program (or a handful
of POKEs) is entered, that puts the CoCo 3 into that state. Once it is
accepting input from the serial port, you can control it from the host
PC or Mac. For instance, you could send a loader as if you were typing
it in on the CoCo, like a BASIC program that would restore the DLOAD
command.

If anybody is interested, I could share the code I came up with so far.

Christian