[Coco] [Color Computer] Coco serial cable

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 03:47:46 EDT 2009

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> The DMP-105 was the successor to the LP-VII with a white case instead of Mercedes silver.  To the best of my knowledge, that was the only change.  Just as slow and noisy and just as crappy print.  (A dot-matrix impact printer with only one pin is sort of limited from the start).

Allow me to have my say in this incredibly popular thread!

The DMP printer that was the same as the Line Printer VII was the
DMP-100, not the 105. I know, 'cause I bought a second-hand one in 1986
or so, and it was crappy as hell. I remember writing at least three
BASIC programs to get the most out of it. One of them was a graphics
screen dumper. The second one would allow me to print the accented
characters we use in French, because this dinosaur only supported the
plain ASCII character set. IIRC, I would print a line of text without
the accents, send a carriage return without a line feed, switch to
graphics mode, and then add the accents over the letters that needed
them in a second pass. Then I would revert to text mode, send a line
feed, and repeat the process for the next line. Yes, printing time was
doubled, so if you, English-speaking folks, think it was slow, just
imagine how sluggish it was for me! The third program I wrote for this
clunker would use the graphics mode for all text printing. I wrote it
after I discovered (by myself) the HPRINT bitmap font in the CoCo 3 ROM,
which had descenders and (almost all) accented characters. I was so
excited when I discovered that font... and I immediately saw the
opportunity to use it with the printer.

I was 15, and had plenty of time, but no money. Those were the times...

Christian