[Coco] Coco serial cable

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Aug 29 16:14:26 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 02:36:59PM -0400, Frank Swygert wrote:
> The very first printer I had was a surplus IBM PCjr thermal serial printer.

That was exactly the printer I tried (and failed) to connect to my
CoCo.

It finally got trashed, which is a damn shame, because I could really
use a CoCo printer which doesn't use unobtanium printer ribbons.

> Different serial printers want different signals for flow control
> sometimes, IIRC. There were a couple different ways to wire a 25 pin serial
> connector on the printer end.

Not that the thermal printer had a DB-25.  16-pin (I think) ribbon
cable header connector.  And the fool at Radio Shack swore up and down
that he couldn't get a male connector to match it.

Of course, it would have helped if I'd been able to get the simple
notion that "RD is used as DSR by Coco printer drivers" through my
thick head.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA