[Coco] FORTH on coco was Re: requesting scans of docs...

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Sat Aug 15 21:23:08 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 06:06:49PM -0700, Wayne Campbell wrote:

> I don't know how relevant this is, but I was looking for info on
> what I remember being called Forth09. I thought it was a version of
> Forth for OS-9, but it turns I can't find a single reference to
> it.

I know of 2 packages called Forth09.

First, the commercial Forth09 from DP Johnson was apparently a very
nice setup, with both an interpeter and a compiler (which is rare for
Forth).  AFAIK neither the binaries or the docs have shown up in the
"abandonware" archives.

Second, there's a freeware (I forget the exact license) forth09 in the
Princeton archive on maltedmedia.  I've got it, but haven't really
messed with it.  You can download it at:
ftp://www.maltedmedia.com/coco/princeton_os9_files/forth09.cuts and
forthsrc.cuts   You will also need a CUTS decoder for those,
cuts.portable is generic C source, cuts.basic09  is probably the
easiest way to get cuts up and running.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA