[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 14 23:20:55 EDT 2009

On Friday 14 August 2009, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> [...]

I never knew what was in the 16..  Figured it was probably an 80186.

> For a while, the Mod 16/Tandy 6000 was the largest single vendor base
> of Unix computers in the wild, except that instead of being in research
> labs and megacorps they were in offices and mom&pop shops actually getting
> some work done.  True, they weren't as fast as a Cray or as pretty as an
> AT&T 7300.

The AT&T 7300 wasn't purty to me, it was a fire waiting to get started better,
and sometimes did.  We had one for about 10 years at the tv station, handling
the CBS network messages to their affiliates.  It destroyed 5 motherboards and
3 10 megabyte HD's from the heat in that little bitty box.

> And the CPU cycles were dedicated to getting real work done
> rather than playing games with a mouse (a singularly lousy gaming tool,
> especially with only one button) or drawing cute greyscale (until much
> later) pictures.

Yup. No arguments there.

>Yes, my high-level bosses (1981-1986) made a lot of stupid decisions, two of
> which caused me to bail (only PC compatibles henceforth aside from contract
> obligations, and an order to shave).

That latter was the straw I'll bet.

> The Z-80 was not a bad decision for
> the first machines.

Half the production of that chip that I have come in contact were brain dead.
The hex $E5 instruction is supposed to swap the foreground/background register
set, but it was intermittently flaky, so you never knew if the address you
wanted was in the front register or not.  And they refused to replace it with
a fully functioning chip when I found it.  Such screw the customer attitudes
doom zilog to the footnote in history status just as much as their failed
attempt to make a 16 bitter.  The 8 bitter, lacking a combined test and long
branch facility, was always a drane bamaged architecture to me.  RCA's 1802
got it right, why the heck couldn't zilog?

> But Zilog failed on producing 16-bit CPUs until years
> after they were needed.  In fact, I still use LS-DOS for day to day work
> (AllWrite by ProSoft is my preferred text editor/output formatter -- note
> NOT a "Word Processor") on a Mod 4 because it is flat out the best
> single-user operating system ever compiled.  (OS-9 & descendants are
> multi-user).  I would dearly love to see a Drivewire equivalent for the Mod
> 1/3/4 series (LDOS/LS-DOS, I don't care about TRS-DOS, NewDOS, UltraDOS or
> a few other alternatives that came around).  I've got a great emulator
> (xtrs from Tim Mann), but the drives in my 4p are getting flaky but I like
> the machine.  I can't hope for an emulator of anything in the 2/12/16/6000
> series.  Nobody else is intereste d and I am not a coder at that level, my
> main language is the Bourne shell and its descendants.

Today, sadly I'll plead guilty to that too, its plumb sexy to do it with a
shell script.  The coco os9 should have had such a shell, sniff...

>Sorry for the late response, but the only folks I was going to miss when I
> left the NYC area (my first wife and her husband -- they introduced me to
> La Esposa back in '92) are leaving first and we've been helping them pack
> (bibliophiles helping bibliophiles pack is harder than any of the labors of
> Herakles) for their move from Brooklyn upstate to St Lawrence County about
> a million miles from here or from where I plan to settle in New Hampshire.

Rotsa ruck. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

"I'd love to go out with you, but it's my parakeet's bowling night."