[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

wdg3rd at comcast.net wdg3rd at comcast.net
Fri Aug 14 23:04:24 EDT 2009

Gene, Tandy did a lot with the 68k _before_ there was a bandwagon.  The Mod 16 running Xenix on a 68k was around well before the Lisa, never mind the Mac.  For a while, the Mod 16/Tandy 6000 was the largest single vendor base of Unix computers in the wild, except that instead of being in research labs and megacorps they were in offices and mom&pop shops actually getting some work done.  True, they weren't as fast as a Cray or as pretty as an AT&T 7300.  And the CPU cycles were dedicated to getting real work done rather than playing games with a mouse (a singularly lousy gaming tool, especially with only one button) or drawing cute greyscale (until much later) pictures.

Yes, my high-level bosses (1981-1986) made a lot of stupid decisions, two of which caused me to bail (only PC compatibles henceforth aside from contract obligations, and an order to shave).  The Z-80 was not a bad decision for the first machines.  But Zilog failed on producing 16-bit CPUs until years after they were needed.  In fact, I still use LS-DOS for day to day work (AllWrite by ProSoft is my preferred text editor/output formatter -- note NOT a "Word Processor") on a Mod 4 because it is flat out the best single-user operating system ever compiled.  (OS-9 & descendants are multi-user).  I would dearly love to see a Drivewire equivalent for the Mod 1/3/4 series (LDOS/LS-DOS, I don't care about TRS-DOS, NewDOS, UltraDOS or a few other alternatives that came around).  I've got a great emulator (xtrs from Tim Mann), but the drives in my 4p are getting flaky but I like the machine.  I can't hope for an emulator of anything in the 2/12/16/6000 series.  Nobody else is interested and I am not a coder at that level, my main language is the Bourne shell and its descendants.

Sorry for the late response, but the only folks I was going to miss when I left the NYC area (my first wife and her husband -- they introduced me to La Esposa back in '92) are leaving first and we've been helping them pack (bibliophiles helping bibliophiles pack is harder than any of the labors of Herakles) for their move from Brooklyn upstate to St Lawrence County about a million miles from here or from where I plan to settle in New Hampshire.
Ward Griffiths        wdg3rd at comcast.net