[Coco] RAINBOW vinyl records?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Fri Aug 14 19:54:16 EDT 2009

It's been quite a while since I looked at the Super Extended Basic ROM code,
but my recollection is that the bugs were neither all that numerous nor
particularly serious.  It is definitely coded more sloppily than the
Microsoft CoCo ROMs, true, but that mostly takes the form of wasted bytes
rather than bugs.

Microware made the decision to have Super Extended Basic run in RAM, above
Disk Basic.  Given that decision, the 6K space used for the picture could
not be used for Basic code;  it is accessed from the internal rom by
switching memory modes, and is not normally in the memory map at all.  (The
same is true of the 40/80 column screen memory, though in that case the
switch is accomplished switching in normally mapped-out RAM segments
temporarily.)
Microware did leave a K or two of RAM space unused above Super Extended
Basic that could have been used for additional features;  I assume Tandy
specified what features they wanted and Microware found they could easily
cram them into the available space with room left over both in the RAM map
and (to a much bigger extent) in the internal ROM.  In the latter case, they
shoved a picture in there for lack of incentive to do anything fancier.

None of this has any bearing on people buying OS-9,  which makes no use
whatsoever of the Microware code.

Art