[Coco] RAINBOW vinyl records?

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 17:17:42 EDT 2009

William Schaub wrote:

> Not only that but if I recall correctly it loads from tape (and
> floppy) a lot faster than some other machines contemporary to it like
> the C64. which had amazingly slow disk and tape. (there are hacks to
> speed up the 1541 but still its pretty slow)
The C64 had nonetheless much better graphics and sound capabilities than
the first two CoCos (and even the CoCo 3, to some extent). And with the
FastLoad cartridge, the 1541 was quite usable. I'd say the main problem
with the C64 was its ROM: the Kernel and the BASIC interpreter could
have been made much better. Perhaps Commodore decided that it would
become a gaming platform, and as such, it didn't need to have an
advanced BASIC interpreter. The CoCo, on the other hand, had poor
graphics and sound support, so it needed a feature that would appeal to
some people: Microsoft Extended BASIC and Disk BASIC. It's a shame
Microware left so many bugs behind when they patched Extended BASIC for
the CoCo 3. They had enough room to hide a 6KB picture in the ROM...
IMHO, that space could have been better used! The buggy ROM could have
been part of a scheme to lure customers into buying a disk drive, OS9...
and then a 512KB add-on memory board. I didn't buy the latter back in
the day; I had already spent $200 on the CoCo, $100 on a monochrome
monitor, $400 on a disk drive and $100 on OS9 (Canadian dollars)... Yet,
I would have needed that damn 512KB board to be able to do any kind of
serious work with that system. I was pissed off, to say the least.
Retrospectively, I think I should have bought an Amiga! Now folks,
please don't flame me... I still have a CoCo and I think it's a fun
machine to mess around with. (I also own a very cool C64 and an ultra
cool Amiga... [grin].)

Christian