[Coco] reducing size of scanned magazines

Ben Jimenez ben_jimenez at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 18:33:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to read them, keep em coming.

Ben

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Aaron Wolfe <aawolfe at gmail.com>
Subject: [Coco] reducing size of scanned magazines
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 8:38 PM

I've been experimenting with the magazine scans on maltedmedia.  Playing
around with settings in Acrobat, I've managed to get the file sizes down
drastically without losing readability.  For example, the original April 85
Rainbow is 550MB. I have it down to 38MB and actually more readable than the
original scan by turning the time yellowed paper background back to pristine
white.  The Jan 85 issue of HotCoco went from 153MB  to 8MB and still very
readable.
Obviously it's important to preserve the highest quality scans for
historical reasons, but for daily use/reading I'd much rather save the
space.
Would anyone else be interested in these?  I could upload to malted, might
save a lot of downloading time for the next guy.  I plan to shrink at least
all the Rainbows and HotCoco's.
-Aaron