[Coco] reducing size of scanned magazines

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Thu Aug 13 18:34:40 EDT 2009

On Aug-12-09, at 3:42 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> I experimented quite a bit with the OCR possibilities.  Clearscan did
> not reduce the size of the file, but it does increase the readability
> of the text to nearly that of the original, maybe even better in some
> cases.  After refining the process a bit, I now have a 40MB file that
> seems to be just as readable as the 550MB original.  The
> graphics/pictures/artwork are not as good as the original, but
> certainly fine enough for me.
>
> I put the 40MB I've made here:
> http://coco.spogbiper.com/rainbow.june.1985_opt1.pdf

If there is little penalty in file size using ClearScan, I'd say use
it.  I agree that it makes the text very readable.  It isn't doing a
perfect job with the OCR, but you'll not notice this unless you try to
copy-and-paste text into a text editor.  In particular, it struggles
badly with code listings.  But visually, it works great!

-- JP