[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 17:45:25 EDT 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Stephen H.
>
>Fischer<SFischer1 at mindspring.com> wrote:
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Heskett"
>> <gene.heskett at verizon.net> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts"
>> <coco at maltedmedia.com> Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 9:10 AM
>> Subject: Re: [Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...
>>
>>> Not to denegrate what Stephen was trying to do in our discussion, but
>>> this is
>>> typical of a government operation, particularly when they are told to
>>> make the
>>> data available to the public.  They will carefully research what is
>>> available,
>>> and purposely choose a method, that while publicly available, is so
>>> obscure
>>> that no one has the secret decoder ring.  And of course we didn't get the
>>> memo
>>> either.  :(
>>
>> What are the alternatives to Adobe shockwave that have more than 0.001% of
>> the market?
>>
>> There might be one in Google's set of products, or is MS's Silverlight
>> one.
>>
>> I looked at the list of programs installed on my Vista Laptop and could
>> only find Adobe Shockwave and MS's Silverlite.
>>
>> SHF
>
>Most things that use Shockwave or other proprietary formats can be
>done using open, standard tools.  From what I saw of the presentation
>(it did not work 100% for me) it did nothing that couldn't have been
>implemented in HTML/javascript.  Of course js is not quite an open
>standard, but certainly more so than shockwave or silverlight.
>
>The upcoming HTML 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_5) hold much
>promise for making these proprietary formats unnecessary.  It will be
>interesting to see what direction the online world takes.
>
>-Aaron

Probably wrong Aaron, html-5 will not solve the problem because it will not
officially set a codec standard, not even in the mud, let alone stone.
Everybody on the committee has an axe to sharpen, and no one would give ground
to a competitors product.  Theora has promise, so does mp4, but they simply
couldn't agree, so they agreed to disagree, and that language has been removed
from html-5 as it stands, as of 2 weeks or so ago.