[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 7 00:59:22 EDT 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I suspected that you might have problems.
>
>I really would like to convert Belle2 to some more reasonable format.

Belle2?  Never heard of such an animal.  Am I living in a cave or something?

>So far, no luck. When it disappears from the web I will have no way of
>looking at it.
>
>As far as I can tell, the congress has stopped funding "pork" projects.
>
>Perhaps it might be converted to a "stimulus" program as it appears ready to
>go.
>
>Even the town has some people unhappy that they would get too little
>dredging for their part of the cost.
>
>When I lived there the water was ~ 3 feet deep, the U of WI study and the
>army planned to dredge just a small part in the middle for the fish.
>
>The depth of the "Mill Pond" might be only one foot deep now.

That will give a winter kill for sure.

>I did ask for the original pictures which the army sent to me so I do have
>the current / before the project is done, pictures of my childhood home.

Yeah, I stopped by the house daddy built right after WW-II, and I wired when I
was about 12 or 13, while on my way back from saying goodbye to my oldest
daughter (cancer) back in the fall of 2007.  The new owners had remodeled
some, and finally got tired of crawling into the attic to replace blown fuses
and swapped it out for a new 200 amp service just a year before I stopped.
Someone had added a front porch on the road facing end of it in the
intervening years.  We had a chuckle over that as they now know who to blame
for that wiring job.  But it was legal at the time!  The shingles were in good
shape, but the ridgeline has about a 6" sag in the middle, not bad for an
amateur built house that was 60 years old in 2007.  Could I ever go 'home'?
No, too much else has changed on that 2 or 3 acres in 60 years.  All of
daddies peach orchard on the north side is gone, probably from lack of care,
and the strawberry patch is now a loop thru driveway.

>But there are 3-4 other Shockwave pictures in the set of other locations I
>would like to keep.

Yeah, I know that feeling all too well.

>SHF

I might brave it tomorrow sometime, I found my 2nd 512 meg CF card for dd-wrt,
it booted, so I wrote the sp2 image to it and that boots too.  But I haven't
cabled it up yet, getting late.