[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu Aug 6 08:08:40 EDT 2009

I don't know about UPS, but obviously you're not referring to the "New
Coke" fiasco back in the 80s! You can change the look of the bottle, but
don't mess with the contents! RS can be TS, just keep the small pieces
and parts you can't get anywhere else in most towns. A few have
specialty radio/electronic parts stores, but they can be hard to find.
Mail order takes a while! I used a generic 12 port molex connector when
I wired my car stereo years ago so I wouldn't have any trouble changing
it out. Not cut and spliced wires (car is a customized 63 Rambler, so no
factory connector), just get a male molex connector and put it in the
factory stereo harness. So if I do that again (just got the last one
from the local RS) I'll have to mail order a connector from somewhere.
Maybe RS will keep the "file drawer" parts they stock now. Not many, but
better than nothing. Too bad they don't realize they don't sell many of
those parts anymore because they don't keep stock up, or stock enough!
Just the most popular ones won't do, you need all the parts for a
project, not everything but one or two parts! They decided to focus on
retail sales and keep a few parts as a side-line. Not too bad, but there
were already lots of retail places -- Circuit City (worked for them!),
Best Buy, etc. Why get in competition with them? Oh well, someone else's
decision. --------- Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 20:26:30 -0500 From: Roger
Taylor <operator at coco3.com>

> >Nothing like taking 80 years of brand name build up and flushing it
> >down the toilet. This ranks as one of the worst corporate decisions ever...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Coca-Cola and UPS both made changes
right before their 100th anniversary?  This works for huge companies,
but you're probably right that it doesn't seem smart for RS who's
already changed their logo recently, unless I'm getting old and it
just seems like it was a few years ago.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"