[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 23:54:49 EDT 2009

The world changes, and so does the "Shack". I don't know many people who
will even try to repair their cellular phone when it's broken. It's just
too small, too integrated to be practical. Replacing a burnt transistor
in a 1975 hi-fi amplifier is one thing. Troubleshooting a defective
iPhone, PSP, MP3/4 player, or cellular phone is another... Of course,
you can identify some obvious problems like a broken audio jack or power
connector, but what do you do when a BGA chip is fried? In the unlikely
event that you succeed in pinpointing the exact problem, most often, you
will have to replace the whole PCB anyway... but you will end up
replacing the damn device, because they no longer make new PCBs, or
they're just too expensive compared to the price of newer and better
devices.

So my point is: The electronic parts market has shrunk, and it's just
not profitable enough for a nation-wide chain of stores to carry a wide
range of parts like they used to in the 70s and the 80s, unless they
focus on this particular market (which means they stop selling
computers, TVs, DVD players, radios, phones, toys, etc. -- which is I
guess is a lot more profitable), and close all of their stores but those
located in 300k+ cities.

By the way, the TRS-80 Model I sold for $599 (4K Level I) in the USA,
and I don't think it was a "sky high price". Well, of course, it was a
lot of money back in 1979, but it was also very cheap for a personal
computer -- an Apple II w/ 4K sold for $1300 in 1977.

Christian