[Coco] "The Shack" re-branding

Christian Lesage hyperfrog at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 18:33:17 EDT 2009

William Schaub wrote:
> Actually I think a return of 8 bit microcomputers (or any small easily
> understood and programmable machine at the hardware level) would be
> great as a way to bring up a new generation of software developers. I
> know I wouldn't be where I am today without being exposed to the coco
> at home and apple II and c64 machines (and of course early pcs and
> macs) at school.
Let's face it: We, old lads (35+), love those 8-bit clunkers for they
remind us our childhood, our first computing experiences, or both. This
is why I collect 8-bit computers, and I suspect that in 25 years from
now, 35+ people will collect PSP, Game Boy Advance, and iPhone devices
for the same reasons.

If you were to sell late seventies/early eighties type of computers
(e.g. 1-MHz, 8-bit CPU w/ 64KB RAM) nowadays, I predict that 95% of your
clientele would be old nostalgic chaps like us. I also predict you
wouldn't sell millions of them...

We are strange birds, aren't we?

Christian