[Coco] A bit more of CoCo history dies...

J.P. Samson coco+list at jeanpaulsamson.com
Tue Aug 4 23:43:43 EDT 2009

On Aug 4, 2009, at 9:28 PM, Derek wrote:
> Nothing like taking 80 years of brand name build up and flushing it
> down the toilet. This ranks as one of the worst corporate decisions
> ever...
>
> --- On Tue, 8/4/09, Steve Bjork <6809er at bjork-huffman.net> wrote:
>
> Tandy is gone and so is Radio Shack in a few days.

To be honest, does anyone under the age of 40 even know what a radio
shack refers to--the historical, dictionary definition?  (Wikipedia to
the rescue on that one!)  That's probably the big reason for dumping
the name.  Anyway, I'd prefer the Radio Shack name not be associated
with the poor excuse for an electronics retailer that remains!  Might
as well call it "Crap Shack".

Here in Canada, Radio Shack is long gone.  Many years ago, it was
bought out by Circuit City and eventually retitled "The Source".
Radio Shack made another go later at re-entering the market, but that
attempt folded pretty quickly.  This year, "The Source" was purchased
by Bell, and assumedly it will be turned into a retailer dedicated to
selling Bell Canada's cell phone, satellite TV, and Internet service.

-- JP