[Coco] question about file transfers from PC

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 2 21:31:43 EDT 2009

On Sunday 02 August 2009, Stephen Adolph wrote:
>I guess I am understanding why OS-9 seems like the right answer for a
>lot of users...no limitations I assume on the structure of the hard
>drive?

There are some restrictions, most caused by the 64k limit to the size of the
file allocation table which starts at LSN1 of the drive.  Because it runs out
of bits to represent each individual sector at about 131 megabytes, for larger
drives it is required to change the size of the cluster that a bit represents,
to 2, 4, etc in powers of 2 increments.  Each such increment doubles the size
of the drive that can be handled.  The tradeoff is that the minimum allocation
also grows.  To 2 sectors, then 4, 8 etc.

I haven't personally found this to be a problem in actual usage.  My drive is
a 1GB seagate on a tc^3 interface.

Where there has been a problem, it is more generally going to be related to
the 'SAS' value in the descriptor, and small values such as the default of 8,
can and have been used up because the FD.SEG section of a files descriptor
sector only has room for 48 entries.

I have made some noise in past years that this SAS value should be defaulted
to at least 20 (it is a hex value, so that is 32 actual) in order to conserve
this resource, and to speed up floppy writes too as that reduces the number of
re-seeks that must be done in order to allocate the space to write the file
to.  If doing really big files, I have been known to temporarily set SAS to
FF.  This does no harm as the allocation will be reduced to the actual size of
the file when the file is closed, and the next allocation request will start
with the next available cluster that is SAS size in contiguous space.