[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users .

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Apr 23 22:26:43 EDT 2009

Rumor has it that Gene Heskett may have mentioned these words:
>[[ snipppage of mail handling "features" ]]

Offtopically, that's why I like Linux; you want something small & lite,
take a month & compile it yourself (like your recipes); want something easy
& slow, download the latest Ubuntu (which, BTW, is out today... 9.04,
woohoo!) stick in the disk, reboot & it's easier than winders.

Close to what you said, my Eudora 5.0 install still has email in it from
'98, and a list of filters as long as my arm (admittedly, prolly 1/2 of
which are now unused.) That said, I really do need to do something similar
to your setup & have the server already; after neglecting my email for far
too long (having 3 days off in as many months) even at T1 speeds
downloading 20K messages took *way too long* - and I would like to speed
that up to 100Mbit or more. ;-)

>That doesn't describe anything I'd call convenience compared to reading this
>mailing list already sorted into the 'coco' folder.  Using convenience and
>webmail in the same sentence is an oxymoron comparable to military
>intelligence.

Hey, many of us on the list are/were in the military, and many of us are
intelligent. (OK, maybe the _decision_ to join may not have been... I'll
leave that up as an exercise to the reader. ;-)

As far as oxymorons, I much prefer "Microsoft Works" as that package makes
M$ Office look spectacular! ;-)

=-=-=

Ontopically, I would have to say that as my current mail setup is not
anywhere close to mobile (the aforementioned reworking would change that
markedly) I would probably not "dropped off the map" so completely if there
were a web based forum... but when I do have spare time, my participation
would not return to what I would consider "acceptable" levels for the
community.

If I had the choice of permanent half-hearted participation or the
occasional "here there be dragons, drop off the edge of the planet" hiatus,
I'll take the latter, TYVM. Counting the number of individuals who would
prefer the dragons ate me, I'll also leave as an exercise for others to
ponder. ;-)

>Simply said, this mailing list Just Works(TM).

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!