[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Apr 22 16:07:48 EDT 2009

On 22 Apr 2009 at 17:32, afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Quoting Jeff Teunissen <deek at d2dc.net>:
>
> > Steve Bjork wrote:
> >> One the main reasons for this email list is so CoCo user that only
> >> have email access can commutate with other CoCo users.
> >
> > Also because there's no viable alternative that isn't utter garbage.
> > Web forums are universally value-free, so it doesn't matter that the
> > CoCo list is the only game in town. Any possible replacement would
> > be another email-based mailing list (and nothing but a duplication
> > of what we have here), a Usenet-based auto-moderated group (thus
> > stupidly limiting the audience), or Web-based (and thus be worthless
> > crap, like the CoCo3.com forums are).
>
> To use an ananolgy from programming I/O, mailing lists are inturrupt
> driven, web forums are polled. So asuming you keep your email running
> in the background you'll get a notification when a message comes in,
> whereas with a forum you have to poll it (by going and checking it).
> Mind most forums can be configured to mail you when someone posts a
> reply, but then that's sent by email.....
>
> Cheers.
>
> Phill.

Email clients work by polling the email server at regular intervals to know
when a message is received. so it is still polling. Then again I don't have
my email client polling the server on a regular basis. So I know when I have
new mail when I tell my client to check the server. So I guess I am polling
also.

james