[Coco] CoCoList and the Web, was Re: CoCoList Survey on email but no web browser access CoCo users.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Wed Apr 22 15:15:27 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 02:42:34PM -0400, Rod Barnhart wrote:
> > If "biased" includes "finds them annoyingly awkward, slow, SPAM-ridden,
> > and difficult to utilize" then there is more than one of us...
>
> Annoyingly awkward and difficult to utilize are mostly opinion (though
> some are that way due to poor implementation as well).

"finds them..." would seem to indicate that I was expressing my
own opinion...

> Slow is a
> matter of implementation.

Not really -- web transactions are more expensive than many/most MUA
transactions.  Plus web access tends to force one into a click-by-click
usage model with lots of (expensive) page loads and renders.  Plus,
web browsers are intended for a different usage model than MUAs, so
you aren't really matching the application to the data access.  Sure,
you could throw enough Ajax/whatever at it to basically reimplement
Gmail in your interface, but what would be the point?

> Spam-ridden is a matter of inadequate
> anti-spam measures and mailing lists are prone to the same issue.

Theoretically, but in practice that does not match with my experience.
Integration of anti-SPAM measures into MTAs and MUAs is well understood
and best practices are well documented and constantly refined in the
available literature.

> But I prefer mailing lists for most things as well ;) (Not to take
> anything away from Roger. Coco3.com is a great resource, forums and
> all)

At least we agree on that. :-)

John