[Coco] All hail CGFX! was Re: OS-9 environment variables?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 16 22:00:46 EDT 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009, Willard Goosey wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:39:36AM -0400, Steven Hirsch wrote:
>> At the risk of exposing my naivety, what is "CGFX" - 3rd party of
>> otherwise?
>
>It's the C Library that does OS-9 graphics and MultiVue.  Mostly it's
>a C version of the gfx2 subroutine module.  It provides access to all
>the cursor control, drawing, colors, etc, for grfint and windint style
>graphics.
>
>The Docs are in the Multivue manual... was the original library in
>MultiVue or the Development System?
>
>IIRC there's some weirdnes with the original library?  Because it was
>linked with rlink instead of c.link?
>
>Anyway, a crazed hacker named Mike Sweet took it and added all the
>goodies Tandy/Mircoware left out (dialogs!  File picking facility!  A
>function that handles the Tandy menu all by itself!  And I was trying
>to do all that by hand?  Someday I'll learn to read the library manual
>FIRST! :), and made it fast.  He even has better documentation.  His
>last version is cgfx7.lzh on rtsi.
>
>Willard

In case anybody has lost track of what Mike is doing today, he wrote CUPS, the
Common Unix Printing System.  And he just about a year ago sold it to Apple on
condition he went with it, and the license remained as GPL2 (maybe GPL3 now, I
haven't paid as much attention as I should).  So now, when you send your
browser to http://localhost:631, there is a slight apple-identification to the
site:

The Common UNIX Printing System, CUPS, and the CUPS logo are trademarks of
Apple Inc. CUPS is copyright 2007-2008 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)