[Coco] OS-9 environment variables?

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Apr 15 12:04:53 EDT 2009

At 10:37 PM 4/14/2009, you wrote:
>On Apr 14, 2009, at 10:30 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:
>
>>Is there a way in OS-9 to store a few bytes or a string from one
>>module and access that data from another module by nickname or some
>>other global handle?
>
>There is a DATA MODULE type, where the body of the module can be
>linked to from multiple processes, then each gets a pointer and access
>to the body area and can read/write that data. That is the OS-9
>mechanism for data sharing.
>
>You can fix the CRC and save the module out, load it on reboot, and
>the variables would be back.
>
>I should write some code for that. (Semaphores, I am not sure of,
>under OS-9/6809.)
>
>Boisy, you know?

I think OS-9 should have had some SetEnv and GetEnv routines a long
time ago.  One of the seed modules that are still there after you hit
reset could just open up some static space, just enough to not hurt
the os9boot size issue but to allow 4 to 8 variables to be set by
nickname and retreived the same.  I guess this would involve adding 2
new system calls?

--
Roger Taylor

http://www.wordofthedayonline.com