[Coco] Hard disk repairs, was Linux, was Drivewire....

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 12:09:41 EDT 2009

Joel Ewy wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> Current kernels won't, but it certainly did in the past.  My first Linux
> installation was a '386-SX/40 with 16M of RAM and a couple 40M MFM
> drives (Well, one of them only formatted to about 32M after I opened the
> case and dug out a broken-off R/W head [I know, don't EVER do this -- it
> was ruined anyway, and worked fine for me until I replaced them with a
> 100M IDE drive.  Just used it for swap, anyway...]).

Humm glad to know I'm not the only one to have done this, in my case it
was a full height MFM 5.25" drive, the problem for me was that the head
that had crashed was head 0 so the drive would not even spin up. So I
whiped out my soldering iron and cut the connections to head 0 and 3,
and swapped them, worked fine as a 15MB drive for a couple of years
after that, mind I only ever used it as a test drive.

Cheers.

Phill.