[Coco] DriveWire

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Apr 13 11:37:05 EDT 2009

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 13 April 2009, wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:

Current kernels won't, but it certainly did in the past.  My first Linux
installation was a '386-SX/40 with 16M of RAM and a couple 40M MFM
drives (Well, one of them only formatted to about 32M after I opened the
case and dug out a broken-off R/W head [I know, don't EVER do this -- it
was ruined anyway, and worked fine for me until I replaced them with a
100M IDE drive.  Just used it for swap, anyway...]).  It was SLS (Soft
Landing Systems, which I believe was a proto-Slackware...) downloaded
from Delphi at 14.4 in the form of 10 1.44M floppy images.  Must have
been somewhere around 1993 or 1994, I guess.  Still have the disks.

So yes, it did at one time run on a '386-SX.  The main problem with
those systems at the time was the 16MB RAM limitation, though it seemed
like a pretty fair amount of memory back then.  It even ran X, though
there weren't many interesting X applications to use at that point.  The
hard drives were probably the real bottleneck on that system.

JCE