[Coco] Somewhat OT - SWTPC 6809 Restoration Project

Ron Bihler rbihler at msn.com
Sun Apr 12 21:18:19 EDT 2009

Joel Ewy wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have on loan the remains of two or three SWTPc 6809 computers that
> had belonged to the late friend of a friend, and I'm going to try to
> restore them to working condition.  (I can probably only get one
> working, since there only seems to be one CPU board, unless another
> one turns up in other boxes...)  My plan is to try to get Flex and
> OS-9 running, and maybe get it to run some old text adventures and
> such things.  If I get real ambitious I might hook up one of those
> serial<->ethernet/telnet thingies and make it play adventure games
> over the Internet.  First things first though.  I'm cataloging the
> parts and trying to understand the DAT circuit on the CPU board.
>
> If you have an interest in such arcana, you can check out my progress
> here:  http://8littlebits.wordpress.com/category/swtpc/
>
> JCE

Been working on a 6809 SWTPC as well, the machine I have is
operational.  However it appears the DC-4 floppy controller didn't like
shipping and I have not been able to get the Flex boot disk to work.
Still a work in process, but a step at a time.

Let me know how you do, I would like to get os9 running on the machine
as soon as I get the floppy to work again.  Have you run the everson
emulation?  Very cool and I am hoping the rom images from the emulation
will work to load OS9.  The flex disk formats are very odd, but in the
end the controller is not working right.

Ron Bihler