[Coco] OT: CoCo-era "Red Dwarf" sci-fi special next week

Fri Apr 10 17:55:59 EDT 2009

On Apr 10, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:
> "J.P. Samson" wrote:
>> On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:
>>> I don't know if anyone here ever watched Red Dwarf, a BBC sci-fi
>>> comedy that ran from around 1988 until 1998, but a series of three
>>> new specials airs next week in England,
>>
>> Hate to deflate your balloon, Allen, but one of my buddies is
>> watching
>> the new Red Dwarf live in London right now.  He says there's no laugh
>> track on it... and unfortunately the episode is so bad that, without
>> the laugh track, he isn't sure when the show is actually funny.
>
> Just watched it and it was ok.  Bit more film-like without the
> laughter
> track and while different, it wasn't such a bad thing *except* that it
> makes you really aware that they broadcast a tiny snippet of an
> episode:
> half an hour including their ad breaks (originals were made without
> in mind).

I won't make any personal comment on it until I find a way to see it.
Good to hear that it perhaps has some merit.  Red Dwarf went badly
downhill in its last couple of seasons.  Perhaps I should have said
"pop your balloon" to Allen, then I'd have a "Clowns & Balloons" tie-
in for this thread, thus making it CoCo relevant!

-- JP