[Coco] OT: CoCo-era "Red Dwarf" sci-fi special next week

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Fri Apr 10 17:13:39 EDT 2009

"J.P. Samson" wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:31 PM, Allen Huffman wrote:
> > I don't know if anyone here ever watched Red Dwarf, a BBC sci-fi
> > comedy that ran from around 1988 until 1998, but a series of three
> > new specials airs next week in England,
>
> Hate to deflate your balloon, Allen, but one of my buddies is watching
> the new Red Dwarf live in London right now.  He says there's no laugh
> track on it... and unfortunately the episode is so bad that, without
> the laugh track, he isn't sure when the show is actually funny.

Just watched it and it was ok.  Bit more film-like without the laughter
track and while different, it wasn't such a bad thing *except* that it
makes you really aware that they broadcast a tiny snippet of an episode:
half an hour including their ad breaks (originals were made without ads
in mind).

If there had been more of it in one sitting (perhaps making it 2 *
45 mins instead of 3 * 30 mins), the different atmosphere would have
worked a lot better.  I reckon.

..ciaran
--
Ciaran Anscomb, Perl/C Hacker