[Coco] CoCo Map, and CoCo 3 Voltage Regulator heat sink

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 13:34:02 EDT 2009

On Thursday 09 April 2009, Andrew wrote:
>All,
>
>I am replying to these two items, but I don't have the originals inline
>due to that lovely "--" bug that Thunderbird has (this is actually
>documented - but has yet to be fixed for the past several years for some
>reason).
>
>Anyhow...
>
>Regarding the CoCo Map: I just added myself, and it all seemed to work
>fine in FireFox 3 under Ubuntu (so I don't think there is an "IE Only"
>problem?)...
>
>Regarding the regulator (specifically, a small switch-mode PSU):
>
>You might try looking around at All Electronics:
>
>http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/480/Power-Supplies/1.htm
>
>and/or Electronic Goldmine:
>
>http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/products.asp?dept=1109
>
>If you haven't already - EG seems a little sparse on there PSU
>offerings, so AE might be a better choice. I don't know off-hand what
>the CoCo's needs are for a PSU (can someone chime in?). I would imagine
>that +/- 12VDC and +/- 5VDC at some amperage for both (what, I don't know).
>
>Both of these electronics places are good, but there are others. If I
>run across something elsewhere I will post it...
>
>-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona

One slim possibility, I haven't checked to see if it would fit, is to use the
psu that was originally made for the TI99-4A, I think it has all 3 needed
outputs, and with a little plastic surgery, it might fit to the left of the
motherboard in the coco case.  The surplus market was flooded with those quite
a few years back. I'm sure it has plenty of juice to do the job too.  However,
in my case as I have an MPI, it was easier to hook up the AT supply to both.
Heck, the TI99/4A board has probably enough power to run everything.  I have a
spare psu someplace, but I also have a TI99/4A too, so I hesitated to turn
cannibal.  As I'm also running about 5 (3 floppies, 1 hard, one cdrom) drives
from that AT supply, the TI unit might let the smoke out with that heavy a
load.  As it is, the coco and the mpi serve to stabilize the AT supply well.