[Coco] CoCo Video Player Project

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Tue Apr 7 20:10:07 EDT 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 8:21 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
> As for the video data, ffmpeg can bust videos into individual bitmap
> files like this:
>
> 	ffmpeg -i foo.avi -r 30 foo-%03d.bmp

Wow, that batch processing would sure make it easy. Then the trick is
using some kind of Debabbelizer program that can scale the graphics
automatically. Initially, I'd like to see one that scales to VDG
semigraphics (yes, the 64x32 block graphics on the CoCo 1/2/3 green
screen).

In the olden days, I did some computer graphics on a VIC-20 with the
Super Expander cartridge. They were used at a booth at the Houston
Boat Show. Large letters, colorful, etc. Very nice.

When I moved up to a CoCo 1, my dad did not care for the graphics --
less colors, etc. I still did more graphics for another show --
recreated the logo of the Texas Fisherman magazine (pixel by pixel!)
and later used an X-PAD to trace maps.

Now the killer part: I saved the graphics out to cassette tape, and
loaded them in one at a time -- recording that to VHS. The end result
were graphics that "drew" down the screen. It impressed the heck out
of everyone back then -- "wow, computer graphics!"

I also recall doing some store windows displays for the local Radio
Shack, using Extended Color Basic to draw letters and make them cycle
colors and such -- fun times!

So, a VDG Movie Player will be my first shot :-)

--
Over 125,000 digital pics from Disney, Theme Parks, and Ren Fests!
Visit http://www.AtTheFaire.com or http://www.DisneyFans.com

Orlando (and other places) cheap luxury vacation offers - and I get
credit!
http://www.WestgateResorts.com/or/index.cfm?acct=9009895609&sales=8664429956&language=en

2010: 30th Anniversary - Tandy/Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer
(CoCo) - http://www.coco30.com