[Coco] hdbdos suggestion was Re: My CoCo plans

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Apr 6 19:11:33 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 06, 2009 at 06:02:04AM -0500, Boisy Pitre wrote:
> Rick,
>
> HDB-DOS's installation process includes running a BASIC program which
> will ask you if you want to compensate for an OS-9 partition;
> answering yes yields further questions regarding size of the
> partition, etc.
>
> This process can be fraught with problems for the inexperienced, and
> it's for that reason we offer a customization service.

A couple of suggestions that might make this easier:
1) a BASIC program that reads os-9 device descriptors to calculate
this stuff automatically.  Anyone using both OS's (DECB and {Nitr}OS9
probably has the rsdos utility to read/write DECB disks from OS9, and
if they don't, it's small.

2)Or, a BASIC program that scans the HD for OS-9 filesystems.  A good
  starting point might be Rodney Hamilton's IDETEST.BAS

Disclaimer:  I haven't used superdrivers and/or  hdb-dos.  I don't
know what you already include in the packages, or how the superdrivers
handle partitioning.  Just thinking "out loud".

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard