[Coco] DriveWire - Frank, Joel - OT

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Apr 14 11:13:15 EDT 2009

Frank,

This is OT, but I am kinda curious - I've been running *nix in some form
or another since 1995, and I have found Ubuntu to be "best in class" as
far as ease of installation, software selection, hardware compatibility
(I am constantly amazed by this one), and ease of usability. Prior to
Ubuntu 8.10, I ran Mandrake 10.1 (big leap), prior to that Debian Woody,
  etc - back to TurboLinux 2.0 (ok, MonkeyLinux over DOS running on a
386 laptop. but I don't know if that counts).

What is it about Ubuntu don't you like (as a workstation OS - if we were
talking server OS it would be a different convo)? Not trying to start an
argument here. Which Linux (or any *nix) distro do you like the most for
workstations?

---

Joel,

You wouldn't happen to have those proto-SLS disks handy, would you?
Somewhere (if I still have it) I have a 386DX40 mobo that is itching to
be fired up again, though I don't know if I have enough memory for *nix
(last I remember I only had 8 meg in it), I was think either some
old-school *nix or OpenDOS. It would be hilarious to see it run *nix, tho.

---

On a more CoCo related note - was there ever an ethernet network "card"
made for the CoCo (ie, a cartridge or something) that worked under OS-9?
I seem to recall there was something a long time ago (I was a kid at the
time and my parents couldn't afford it, nor did I have anything to hook
it up to), but I may be foggy.

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona