[Coco] 3.5" drives on coco 3

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Sep 28 08:07:15 EDT 2008

> Nevertheless, I find I'm not getting as much use out of my 3 1/2" drive as
> I thought I would. When working with RSDOS, I still use my 5 1/4" drive
> more often. That's because a lot of my RSDOS games that are on 5 1/4"
> disks are copy-protected and so cannot be transferred to 3 1/2" disks.
> Also, a lot of RSDOS games are hard-coded to run in Drive 0; my 3 1/2"
> drive is wired up to be Drive 1. That also prevents me from booting up OS9
> from a 3 1/2" disk. I haven't been able to figure out how to modify
> OS9Boot to have the system boot entirely from Drive 1.

> Fred Provoncha

I have added a double pole double throw switch to the drive select lines on
my 2 of my drive boxes.  In one set this allows me to use a 5.25" or a 3.5"
drive as Drive 0 with the other one becoming Drive 1.  With the other set I
am simply switching drive 0.  Drives 1 and 2 are 3.5" drives.

It looks to me that several modules will need rewriting for OS-9/NitrOS9 to
boot off from drive 1.  The hardware solution is much easier for me.

Bruce W.