[Coco] Vcc and real floppy disks

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:13:24 EDT 2008

On 9/26/08, Robert Gault  wrote:

>  < snip >
>
> I should also point out that one can (and I have) expand the OS-9 drive
> tables in the same manner so that both true double sided disks and dual
> singles can be used at the same time.

---

Looking at the source code for the WD1773 driver in Nitros-9 reveals
that the "Side Compare" bits are not being used when commands are
issued to the FDC. I imagine the same is probably true for OS-9
drivers. If those drivers had been implemented 'properly', VCC could
simply use the command bits to determine how to specify the target
sector.

Since this isn't the case, it looks as though some kind of
configuration setting would have to be in place to tell VCC whether a
disk is true double-sided or has single-sided formats on each side.
VCC could perform the configuration automatically by issuing an
IOCTL_FDCMD_READ_ID to fdrawcmd.sys and examine the contents of the ID
field returned.

Darren