[Coco] Possible Coco patent?

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 20:35:22 EDT 2008

I stand corrected.  It is public the moment it is issued.  What I
meant to say was after it expires, it becomes fair game for anyone to
make, use, or sell without being sued for patent infringement.

There's a little "gotcha" with patents that prematurely expired
because the maintenance fees weren't paid.  So long as their statutory
period (was 17 years from issue date when I was at the Office -- might
be 20 from date of filing now) has not expired, they can basically pay
the maintenance fee and bring it back to life.  What people were doing
is not worrying about the maintenance fee and letting the patent
expire.  If someone else started to produce it, and it was worth going
after them, then they would pay the fee and let the lawsuits begin...

                - Aaron